View of Washington University in St. Louis sign in front of campus

Frequently Asked Questions


Do I need to complete an application to register?

An application is not required to register for summer courses. However, we do require visiting undergraduate students to complete an enrollment request form through the Visiting Student Program. Below is a list of eligible student classifications who can enroll through A&S Summer Session.

  • Current Washington University student (undergraduate, post-bacc, and graduate)
  • Visiting student from another US college or university
  • International student (with a valid F-1 or J-1 US Visa sponsored by another US university)

Adult and Professional students may want to explore summer courses through University College.

Middle/High School students may participate in programming offered through Arts & Sciences Pre-College Programs.

How do I register?

Registration opens March 29, 2023 through the WebSTAC registration portal for those who have a WUSTL Key. Visiting students will be enrolled in courses manually after their visiting student enrollment request form has been approved and payment has been received in full.

Note: Graduate students from divisions other than Arts & Sciences should contact the registrar in their Dean’s Office to register.

What is the last day that I can register for a course?

Registration deadlines vary by session. Once summer registration opens, enrollments are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Summer 2023

Session I
May 22 - Jun 9

Session II
Jun 12 - Jul 14

Session III
Jun 12 - Aug 4

Session IV
Jul 17 - Aug 17

Last day to Add/Drop (w/ a "D") and receive 100% refund

May 24

June 14

June 19

July 19

Last day to Drop ("W" on transcript) and receive a 50% refund (no refunds given after this date)

May 26

June 16

June 26

July 21

Last day to Change Grade Option or Withdraw from courses

June 2

July 7

July 21

August 11

Session V (special session) dates and deadlines are available in the PDF linked below.

View the registration and Refund schedule as a PDF

How many credits can I take in Summer Session?

Due to the intensive nature of summer courses, students may carry no more than the maximum credit load for each session, indicated below:

Session I: Maximum of 4 units
Session II: Maximum of 6 units
Session III: Maximum of 6 units
Session IV: Maximum of 6 units

When enrolled in overlapping sessions, students may carry no more than 6 units at one time. Finally, students are limited to taking no more than 12 units total over the course of the summer.

How do I drop a summer course?

Current Washington University students must login to WebSTAC with a WUSTL Key and password to drop courses.

  • Go to the WebSTAC registration portal.
  • Click "Schedule" on the menu bar.
  • Click "Drop" next to the appropriate course.
  • Confirm your request by clicking "Drop Course."

Visiting students must complete Course Change Request Form. Make note of the applicable add/drop/refund deadlines for each session listed here.

If a student is unable to successfully drop their course, please send an email to

Important Notes

Courses dropped by the 100% refund deadline will not be reflected on the student record/transcript. Courses dropped after the 100% refund deadline will be shown as withdrawal (“W”) on the student record/transcript. Review the 2022 Summer Session drop/refund deadline schedule.

Notifying the instructor of your intent to drop, failing to attend class, or notifying the department by fax, phone or email is not considered an official withdrawal and may result in a failing grade and no tuition refund.

Requests for policy exceptions should be filed using the A&S Exception Petition.

What are my grade options?

Students typically choose between two grading options during Summer Session:

  • Letter Grade (yields GPA)
  • Pass/Fail (no GPA)

Students may not change their grade option after a certain date in each session. During the entirety of the summer term (i.e.,Sessions I-V), a student is allowed to enroll in one (1) course under the credit/no credit (pass/fail) option. All other policies regarding CR/NCR courses set by the College of Arts & Sciences apply during Summer Session as well. Students should check with their academic advisor to determine whether there are additional restrictions on grading options for their school or major.

The course I want is full. Can I get on a waitlist?

Some classes allow students to be on a wait list once registration capacity is reached. If a space becomes available, students are automatically enrolled in the order they are on the list. Waitlisted students are therefore encouraged to attend class sessions so they can stay on track with course materials in the event space opens up and the student is enrolled. If a student is not added to a course, they will not be charged Summer Session tuition for that course. Enrollments from the waitlist are subject to the same add/drop policies outlined above. If a student changes their mind about wanting to take the class for which they are waitlisted, they should drop the course before the add/drop deadline so they don't get accidentally enrolled.

How will I know if my course is canceled?

Course offerings are subject to cancellation due to low enrollment. Students will be notified at the earliest opportunity if one of their courses is cancelled. Additionally, cancellations and changes to courses will be posted in WebSTAC. If a course is cancelled, students will have an opportunity to enroll in another available course or receive a refund for tuition and fees.

Tuition & Financial Aid

What are the tuition rates and fees for summer courses?

Tuition and fees are listed with each course in the WebSTAC registration portal.

Arts & Sciences (“L”) Course Tuition

  • Undergraduate: $1,180/unit  ($3,540/3-unit course)
  • Graduate: $1420/unit ($4,260/3-unit course)


  • Lab/Materials Fees: $15 - $350
  • Late Payment: 5% of the outstanding balance (minimum $50)

I am a WashU student, how do I apply my financial aid award for summer courses?

Matriculated Washington University students who are accepted into a degree program may apply for summer school financial assistance. Financial assistance is generally in the form of student loans. To be considered for loan assistance, students must satisfy the following requirements:

  • Current undergraduate students must be enrolled in and complete a minimum of 6 units of course work during summer semester with a C (2.0) minimum grade point average.
  • Current graduate students must be enrolled in and complete a minimum of 3 units of course work during the summer semester with a B (3.0) minimum grade point average. 

Students must complete a summer school aid application, which is available through the Financial Aid website, and applications must be processed before the summer session in which you are taking courses ends.

Federal regulations require that students receiving federal Title IV financial aid maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). On the Danforth Campus at Washington University in St. Louis, SAP is evaluated at the end of the spring term. If you are not maintaining progress you will notified by your school’s Dean’s office. You will be ineligible for aid for future terms (including a summer term) unless you appeal your status and your school’s Dean’s office approves your appeal. Contact Financial Aid to learn more about SAP requirements and the appeal process.

If you have further questions, schedule an appointment with your financial advisor or contact Dan Dick, Manager of Compliance & Awarding.

What are my payment options for summer courses?

WashU Undergraduate Students

Charges for Summer Session courses will appear on an electronic billing statement, accessible by logging in to WebSTAC. Generally, the outstanding balance is due on or near the 20th of the following month, unless other arrangements have been made. Unpaid bills will result in a financial hold being placed on the student's account.

WashU Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program Students

Please view the PBPM WebSTAC Course Registration and Billing Guide for additional information.

Domestic & International Visiting Students

Registrations are to be paid in full to secure a seat in a course. Students may pay by debit/credit card or provide an approved alternate method of payment (i.e. financial aid consortium agreement, military benefit, etc.). At this time, we cannot accept check or cash payments.

I am owed a refund. When will I receive it?

Refund processing is done weekly on Thursdays throughout the summer. Funds are reimbursed to the method of payment on file. Generally, it takes 7-10 business days for credits to appear on your financial institution account. For specific questions, please contact

I am a visiting student, how do I apply for financial aid?

Visiting students are not eligible to apply for financial aid with Washington University in St. Louis. However, you may explore options through your home institution. We recommend contacting your financial aid office to learn more about a Consortium Agreement; this can allow you to use funds from your financial aid award toward summer courses at WashU. 

Can I use my WashU employee benefit toward summer courses?

Washington University provides its faculty, staff, and their families with tuition assistance to foster their continuing education.

Learn more about this benefit

Is there tuition assistance for city employees or school district staff?

University College offers classes at a reduced rate to city employees, public safety officers, and public school teachers and staff who enroll in a University College ("U" prefix) course. 

Learn more about this benefit


Washington University is taking significant measures to protect the community from COVID-19. Visit WashU Together for more information on WashU's COVID-19 response. 

Summer Session 2023 will operate under the same assumptions for course delivery as this past academic year, with a return to in-person classroom instruction. Physical distancing, density, masking and vaccination requirements for on-campus spaces will follow the most current university guidelines. If you have symptoms of COVID, do not come to campus until you have a negative COVID test!

Can't find the answer to your question?

Contact Us